About Me

My photo
Everyday is a new journey in life. I love being alive and all that goes with it.

Monday, January 31, 2011

God doesn't make Junk Gratitude's ~ Day 11

   This morning I woke with the gratitude of being myself.  I know a person who used to try to change me into being someone I am not.  Now, I do not call this person friend.  However, I am grateful for that action because I know I stayed true to myself.   An old friend(Erica Thomas Buchanen~sorry if I mangle the spelling of your name) posted, "Do not change yourselves to be like the people of this world, but be changed within by a new way of thinking. Then you will be able to decide what God wants for you; you will know what is good and pleasing to him and what is perfect." ~Romans 12:2

                                         Gratitude's ~ Day 11


1. Me ~   "God doesn't make junk."   While I do not remember who said that, the words have left a lasting positive impact on me.  I am grateful to wake up and be me.  Who else in this world who I rather be?  Sure, I would like to be rich, have a chauffeur, and chef, but I would like to do it as myself.  I would like to see the world with my eyes.  I am grateful to be me.

2. Walking~  Lately, I have sat down and started to think about the constants in my life.  When I look back, I can see one thing that has always been the same.  Since I was little girl, I loved to take walks.  Years ago,  we Volks Marched through Europe as a family.  I think this may be the start of what shaped my love of walking.  In High School, I used to take walks after school with many different friends at places such as Point of Rocks Park in Virginia.  The memories at that park are many.  The smiles are great.  This journey of walking with friends continues into my adult years and continues today.  These friends hold a special spot in my memories.  Most have continued on as life long friends.  Thank You my friends for taking this journey with me.  I am grateful to you.


3. Gardening~  I am sure I will write this as a gratitude many many time over.  I love gardening.  Greta and I used to walk around our flower beds looking  for the seedlings that the birds may have left behind.  We often had little surprises popping up here and there.  One year, she had planted purple cone flowers in her yard. She did not get one single beautiful purple cone flower.  Instead,  the bird transferred the seeds.  I had  a bunch of cone flowers pop up along my fence line.  Gardening brings surprises and joy.  Gardening brought me friendship with one of the best friends I have ever had.  Thank You Greta for being a great friend.


4. Changes with-in~  One neat thing about writing a gratitude journal is that it makes me really stop and look at the things I am grateful for.  Sure, it is easy to say I am grateful for something, but to stop and really think about the why it brings so much gratitude changes how I feel.  I used to randomly list everything or everyone that made me happy in my thoughts.  I never really gave each gratitude its own thought.  To stop and write down each gratitude, whether it be a person, place or thing, leaves me with joy all day long.


5. My husband~  I am grateful for Mark.  He loves me.  He makes me feel secure.  He is quite a handsome man.  He is funny too.  Lately he has followed his dreams and that has shown to be an inspiration for me to follow my own.  I am grateful for my husband, my best friend.


6. Best friends~ Over the years, I have been blessed with best friends.  I do not have just one best friend. Instead I have a handful of great friends.  I bet, without typing a word, each of you knows who you are. Sadly, all of you are scattered all over the place.  I guess this is a good thing because whenever I see one of you(or talk to or type to), I can concentrate on you.  I am grateful for these friends.


7. Yogurt~ How did I go from friends to yogurt?  I don't know actually, but I do love yogurt.  Here in Germany, there is a yogurt that I have fallen in love with.  It is delicious!!  Actually, that may be even  an understatement because I eat one or two every single day.  I am grateful for yogurt.


8.Children's toys~ Yesterday, Julia and I sat down and played with her potters wheel.  Our hands got dirty from the clay.  We created art and spent treasured time with each other.  It was a special special day.  I am grateful for an activity that will remain with both of us in our memories for the rest of our lives.

9. Art~ Art can be many things to many people.  For me, art is anything that you use your own self to create. This includes gardening, painting, music, crafts, pottery, quilting and so much more.  Art is beautiful.  Sometimes it can be quite odd, but it has it's own uniqueness that speaks about the artist who creates it.  I am grateful for art.

10. As always, life~ I think I may use this as my signature ending.  Everyday that I wake up is something to be grateful for.


   Today has already had a good start. I will concentrate on today. I do want to wish two of my friends good health this morning. I hope you wake feeling well and energized.

No comments:

Post a Comment