About Me

My photo
Everyday is a new journey in life. I love being alive and all that goes with it.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Toilet Paper Gratitude's Day 8

     

   Good morning friends and readers. Each and everyday is the beginning of your life. When I look back at my life, I treasure each of my memories. However, I live in the present. I dream for the future. There is a saying, "One Day at a Time." For me, this means to live for today. Each day is fresh and newly written. There are no worries of the pasts or the future. Today, I can only worry about today. My day so far looks like it will be uneventful. This does not mean that today will not have it's own story....


                           Gratitude's Day 8



1. Coffee~ I am a bit surprised that I have not put coffee on my list before. Coffee smells good, taste good, and helps me start everyday. Oh how I love my coffee. Now I drink my coffee black. No sugar or cream, just the pure delight of coffee. I am thankful for coffee.


2~ Toilet Paper~ Did you know that toilet paper was not invented until 1857 by a man named Joseph Gayetty? It was called medicated paper. Modern day toilet paper was not invented until 1880. Prior to that people used twigs and leaves. I just had to pause and think about that last sentence. Gross, horrified and stinky comes to mind. I am thankful for toilet paper.


3. Completion~ Today was the final day finishing up my abscess and root canal treatments. It was a super easy visit and no anesthesia was required. I am very thankful to the dentist and to the staff. They fixed me up and with a great attitude as well. While I genuinely like these people, I do hope I do not have to see them again for a very long time.


4. Pottery Pieces~ I love handcrafted pottery. I have bowls, mugs, plates, planters and even a pottery turtle. Each piece is unique. Some of my pieces are made in North Carolina, others in South Dakota and a few are made here in Germany. Pottery is usable and beautiful so it creates no clutter. The glaze drips down or swirls into sweet little patterns. I am grateful for the artist who create the pottery.


5. Trains~ Trains are fun. They take you through mountains and across landscapes. They allow you to travel without missing the sights. There are so many different types of trains. In this house, the steam engine holds the fascination of the old and young alike. I am grateful for trains.


6. Water~ Some people turn to drugs, alcohol or even different means to alleviate stress they feel. I love drinking a glass of ice water. It leaves me feeling refreshed and calm. Water cleans our dishes, our bodies, and the earth. Water is essential for life. I am grateful for water.


7. Blankets~ Blankets make me smile. They warm us and somehow comfort us when are sick. Blankets often are accompanied by little children wanting to cuddle. Blankets decorate and add spice to a room. The feel of a super soft blanket on a cold rainy day can leave me feeling peaceful and relaxed. I am thankful for blankets.

8. Space~ The word space can lead into several directions. One direct is the vastness of Outer Space with its' endless possibilities. This, in itself, can lead to hours and hours of imagination. I do wish I could live long enough to see when we find other species on different planets. That thought makes me smile. Another direction of space is time and distance which can and is sometimes needed. Finally, the third direction of space that I am grateful for, is the space to raise my family. No matter how big or small our space has been, we have always had just enough.


9. Steps~ When I was child I gave my father three wooden shoes that were replica's of Holland wooden shoes. Each shoe had it's own words engraved. The shoes represented the steps necessary for a good life. The shoes represented my gratitude.


10. As always, life~ Today has already brought kids in my house, a visit to the dentist, kind loving words from my husband and the day has just begun.


I am interested to see what else today has today has to bring. Whether it be a good book, a call from a friend or just cuddles on the couch. Today is newly written just as tomorrow will be.




No comments:

Post a Comment